No. 91 - February 1991




In my early sailing days, the only navigational aid I had was the compass mounted on my boat. And a pair of dividers.


But as time passed, I gradually increased my stock of aids, especially electronic. And as these are attractive to those with light fingers, I was reluctant to leave them on the boat when un-attended.


I was in our local stationery store earlier this past summer, when I noticed they had a sale of plastic brief cases. For school kids. About $12.00 if I remember. And that gave me an idea.


I bought one and also a roll of plastic foam (the kind backpackers use to sleep on) from a camping store. The­ foam was cut to size, to fit inside the brief case. I was able to get five or six pieces out of the one roll.


Then, with a pot of contact cement and an X-Acto type knife, I set to work. My plan was to cut the foam in the shape of each instrument so each one would have its own "compartment" and as the things I wanted to keep in this brief case were of different thickness it was necessary to cut through different layers of the foam. I tried to organize it in such a way so that each instrument would be about the same height when stored.


The photo shows the end result. At the top is my Voyager Loran C. Below the antenna is a spare battery pack containing six AA cells. Six more are nestled each in their little foam beds. Below the Loran is my portable VHF transceiver. And that little white square below it is the battery charger. The remaining instrument is an Autohelm hand bearing compass.


Each layer of foam was glued to the next - the first layer having already been glued to the bottom of the brief case. A couple of layers were also glued to the inside cover. Now, all my instruments are in one neat case, ready to be taken to my boat whenever we go cruising.





Stephen had a two part stern rail made by Spandeck of Florida (4777 - 110th Terrace North, Clearwater, FL 34622). As I see it, there are several advantages to a two part stern rail. An obvious advantage is that it is much easier to climb into the cockpit, from the stern when a stern ladder is also fitted. A second, not so obvious advantage, is that because the stern rail is in two parts, it is small enough to be shipped via UPS. (About $20.00) A one piece stern rail is oversize and needs to be shipped by road transport. Which is much more expensive.


The price from Spandeck for the rail is about $140.00 (US).



A traveler was installed in the usual mid cockpit location shortly after I bought my boat in 1982. Seeing how it cut up that Tanzer 22 cockpit and after tripping over it a few times, we were not too pleased. We had been spoiled by the convenient cabin top traveler on our previous boat, an Ericson 25. I knew then and after some prodding from the first mate that, it must be moved. This was not allowed by the Tanzer 22 Class Association rules at that time. I got the approval of the Lake George Fleet, in which we raced, to install a shortened traveler at the forward end of the cockpit giving the same control as the then standard mid cockpit location. This was described in Newsletter #75 after the Class Association approved other locations for the traveler.


Except for having to step over it when going below, it worked very well. Over the years I very seldom used all of the shortened (43 inches) length. After reading about Dick Besse's boom-end traveler in the last Newsletter (#89) I shortened it further and lowered it between the seats at the step level.


The track is mounted on a 1 1/2" X 1 1/8" beam of white oak. The beam was tapered on one side to fit against the side of the step. The beam was bolted to the step with four screws and at the ends through the sides of the seats. Four small holes were drilled between the beam and the step to allow drainage when it rains. However, if I were to do it again I would shim the beam out to create drain slots.


Since the pictures were taken, rubber bumpers have been put at the ends to keep the traveler car from touching the seat sides. When at the dock the car is positioned off to one side allowing full entry into the cabin. This traveler system has worked just fine and gives as much movement as usually needed. With the straight aft pulling position, there is no need for the control line blocks that came with the traveler car. They can be installed if ever required. The top surface of the track gives a nice wide step into the cabin or to stand on while looking for that weather mark.






This is not so much a chronicle of sailing experiences aboard a "Pocket Yacht", but rather a glimpse into one couples way of looking at and living life.


Our "Evergreen" is not just a Fiberglas-lined "hole-in-the-water" into which we pour (sometimes) astonishing amounts of money! Evergreen is a statement made by two people who have begun to learn that life, like sailing, is meant to be in harmony with the Almighty's Nature, and, as much as is possible, one another.


As in life, every voyage is an Adventure! We are truly subject to the variances of life! External forces constantly seek to deter us from our goal.


Yet, though we live our lives in the "Eye of the Hurricane" of family, relationships, careers and the constant demands of a society predicated upon "excellence at any cost", our humble Tanzer 22 is truly our Life-Support System.


Imperfect, too large when docking, too small when challenged by the Great Lakes seas, Evergreen non-the-less provides us a Haven, a sanctuary, where the veneer of our society becomes somewhat trans­parent; windows of souls open and spirits, even for a few hours, are set free!

7 April 1990. More anxious than expectant parents, we arrived at Port Stanley, on Lake Erie, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 7:50 AM. Definitely more excited and eager than any work day we can recall! To our dismay, despite repeated promises, no boat! To console ourselves and to stave off the sunny but cool weather, we retreated for a cup of coffee in the Bridgeview Restaurant, situating ourselves with an eagle's eye view of the only main intersection in the village where the deliverer absolutely HAD to turn to reach our Marina. Coffee followed coffee, with consoling words offered by our sympathetic waitress.


Finally, after what seemed an eternity, at 8:32, a battered brown van with our BOAT in tow, gingerly rounded the corner, met by two apparently crazed adults waiving a flailing their arms and shouting directions to Kettel Creek Marina!


The Deliveryman took it all in stride; seems he's seen it all before and in an amazingly short time, our pride and joy was unloaded, resting on her cradle and waiting for us to make her our own!


It was snowing; we scrambled up and inside the cabin for "warmth", uncorked our first on-board bottle of champagne; it was Love at First Sight! That forest-green sheer stripe, sail cover and stripe on the big genoa .... why she just had to be EVERGREEN! And she was ours!


May 5 1990: The first boats launched had ample helpers-learners­shovers-worriers, who helped position the precious parcels for their final decent into the spring-brown waters of our marina.


The sight of those huge sailing vessels suspended in mid-air is quite a spectacle!


Finally it was Evergreen's turn! Slings properly positioned, up she goes ... just high enough for me to apply anti-fouling paint where the cradle pads had met the hull… then up… up… and although heads told us there was no danger, with pounding hearts we watched Evergreen swing over the sea-wall and gently into her natural habitat! She floated beautifully, our Honda 7.5 started easily and (it seemed) under everyone's watchful eyes, we slowly edged our way into our berth. Evergreen was home!


July 4 1990: with two months' sailing aboard our Tanzer 22 under our belts, we are constantly surprised and delighted with Evergreen's performance! We are sure She laughs at our fears and anxieties!


Today we fairly flew to Port Bruce and back, a 20 mile trip.

What was once a grand but gruelling adventure on our previous boat, a center board day-sailor, is now a pleasant passage. With full sail, clear skies and 20 knot winds, Evergreen exceeded hull speed consist­ently. We arrived back in Port Stanley in time for a late lunch, put up the fly sheet and listened to the summer rain.


The rain appeared to be permanent, that day, but we were in no particular hurry to do anything at all. We are learning, slowly, to sit still and let sailing at dock as well as at sea, work its wonders. With fly sheet up, heater on low, socks on and gin-and-tonic in hand, the cabin becomes cozy, conversation easy and the good things in life don't get in the way of the best things.


Life onboard a small sailing vessel is a learning experience!

Preparing a meal makes one appreciate how precious space really is and properly-used storage is a life-saver. To do normal daily routines on board, you really have to want to sail! We do and our learning-curve in making Evergreen our own "Proper yacht" is usually straight-up!


Such was the case 1 September 1990, when we decided to enter the "Annual Port Stan1ey - Port Bruce Labor Day Race" a last minute decision that, it turned out, had day-long consequences!


Port Stan1ey has "lift-bridge" access from marinas/docks to Lake Erie, every half hour. Marine traffic that Labor Day morning resembled Toronto's Bloor and Young at rush hour! Boats butted and elbowed their positions near the bridge, churning the usually cam Kettle Creek into a muddy chop. Such was the confusion and excitement that Michele stepped painfully into the forward hatch, which in our haste to make the bridge, we had left open; damn that learning-curve. Michele is great of heart and despite angry looking bruises to her leg, insisted on continuing.


Unaccustomed to the ideal of 35 boats, most of which were much bigger than Evergreen, all crowding across the narrow starting line at the same time, yelling nautical messages (some of which seemed less-­than-friendly), we ended up somewhat astern of the fleet! (Would you believe five minutes astern?)


As the million dollar fleet of finely tuned racing machines spread their multi-co1ored wings and flew off on their individual tacks, it dawned on us that just maybe racing was not in our blood! But continue we did. It was a frustrating trip to Port Bruce, with little breeze. About two miles from the turning point, as we were about to start the "iron genoa"; the breeze suddenly freshened. Then, as if to add insult to injury, the leaders started coming past us, in the opposite direction! Towards Port Stanley! Spinnakers flying in every shade imaginable; reds, pinks, blues, purples.


It was like sunset at noonday.


Beautiful, heeled way over and fast, they flashed by us, rails buried in each swell. Oh, we tried to look nonchalant, we even waived bravely, as the parade passed us by, but sailing Evergreen straight-up (as the manual says to) was getting more difficult. The fickle Lake Erie winds began to blow in earnest and as we rounded the mark at Port Bruce and headed home, we knew we were in for it.


Our trip back to Port Stanley was a nightmare! Gusty, shifting winds that threatened to knock Evergreen on her rails. Overpowered, we lowered our beautiful green and white 160% genoa and bent on our stiff 100% jib. The boat was being thrown around by wind and wave so violently that we lacked the presence of mind to reef the main. Every time we embarked on a home-bound tack the wretched wind would shift around and frustrate our best attempts. This heroic battle went on for several exhausting hours; we tack, wind would shift, we tack, wind would gusts, then shift!


Finally, discretion got the better of valor; we lowered the sails, fired up the trusty Honda and headed for safe harbor. (It was a timely decision, for several times during the worst waves, Doug made pointed threats to either sink or sell the bloody boat!)


Finally safe at dockside, Doug kissed the ground like a Baptist Pope! After a glass of wine, the memories of pleasant sun drenched auto-helm-type sails overcame our high anxiety, Evergreen is still ours, we are still Hers.


7 October 1990: Despite 25 to 30 MPH winds, gusts and threatening rain, Evergreen was determined to show us her stuff. And so it was that under jib and reefed main, resplendent in our "highly visible" (it surely glows in the dark!) foul weather gear, we again put our lives in the care of 22.5 feet of inanimate almost inert materials. And on that miserable day, all that we had read of the Tanzer 22s vaunted seaworthiness became reality. With the right amount of sail, wiser, more prepared sailors, Evergreen took everything Lake Erie could throw at her in stride. The wind whistled through the rigging, we got soaked to the skin and it was wonderful!


Early in May, 1991, the adventure will begin again. Evergreen will be launched, this year in Bayfield, on Lake Huron. Yes, the call of the North Channel is siren in our hearts and the most beautiful sun sets this side of Hawaii is a draw. But mostly it's because we have found that, like the two of us, we don't belong TO one another, we just belong WITH one another! And if someone has to ask if all of this really matters in the grand scheme of things, as the wise man said, "If you have to ask, you cannot understand!"


Happy sailing.




"Now that you have cured the only major fault (weather helm) the Tanzer 22 ever had (with the new rudder), why don't you fix the other one?"


So said someone to me the other day. What other fault? "Why don't you write something about how to waterproof the Tanzer 22?"


And I guess maybe there is something in what this person said.

For those that sail their Tanzers in High winds and heavy seas, anyway. Let us be completely honest. That nice big cockpit we all love so much, does have one drawback. If you heel the boat far enough, water will come over the lee rail. And fill up the lee cock­pit seat with water. And if left there, will find its way, via the cockpit hatch, into the cockpit bilges. And probably into the cabin itself. I know, it happened to me two weekends in a row, when racing in 25 to 35 knot winds. With too much sail up!!


Two things are needed. (l).A reasonable way to keep the water out and (2) some way to get rid of the water, if it does manage to sneak below. This month I will try to address both.


Chances are, if your boat is more than a few years old, the sponge rubber gasket that seals the cockpit lockers has been com­pressed and is no longer providing a tight seal. Or worse, has become unstuck and provides no seal at all. The first step is to replace this rubber gasket. You will need 11 to 12 feet of 1/2" X 1" sponge rubber. The kind that is self-adhesive. If you can't find it at your local auto supply store, give Eric Spencer (Yachting Services) a call, he most probably can. Having removed all the old sponge rubber, scrape the Fiberglas flange clean and further cleaned with acetone or similar, apply the sponge rubber. Try not to stretch this sponge rubber, else it will shrink over time and you will have to do the job over.


Now, close the cockpit hatches, if you meet resistance when you go to close the latches, that is, you can feel the hatch compressing the sponge rubber, the job is probably done. If, on the other hand you feel no resistance, you may need to further seal the hatches by applying some sponge rubber to the underside of the hatches. 1/8" should be thick enough. 1/4" at the most.


If you have done the job properly, it may be necessary to fasten the seat hatch with a little wooden dowel or even a snap shackle. Please resist the temptation to close this hatch with a padlock. In an emergency, you may wish to get something from one of the cockpit lockers this is no time to be fiddling around trying to unlock a padlock.


So much for sealing the cockpit lockers. Still, we don't want all that water to collect on the lee seat. The next step is to provide a drain so the water will drain into the cockpit sole and escape through the cockpit drains. A couple of plastic fittings and a length of hose will do just this. See photo.


The final stage in waterproofing your Tanzer 22, is to install a permanent bilge pump. This was always a factory option, yet few buyers ever ordered this option. And I suppose, if you confine your sailing to only those days when the wind is light and weather clear, you may never need such an item. That is, if you can guarantee to never be caught out in an unexpected squall or storm.


A Whale Gusher 10, mounted on the cockpit sole may just be worth the cost and effort, if only to provide peace of mind. Be sure to use reinforced hose, for both the inlet to the pump and the outlet. A strum box should be attached to the inlet and to be on the safe side, it doesn't hurt to have a loop in the outlet to prevent unwanted water from finding its way back into the bilge, via the outlet hose. The last trick is to find a location for the pump handle, where it will always be kept and ready for use. One suggestion, a short length of two inch hose, fastened to the bulkhead of one of the cockpit lockers, will provide a safe and convenient holder for that handle. (Part two of "waterproofing" will cover the hull and deck joint and the ports.)