No. 86 - February 1990




Hull #1160 has just completed its first year with a fin keel.  The two factors that most influenced this decision were maintaining the keel/centerboard - a 1/2" mooring chain lasts only four years in Plymouth Harbor - and my power steering - NO TANZER 22 SHOULD BE WITHOUT THE NEW RUDDER! - was lower than the keel.  Plymouth offers ample opportunity to go aground (usually sand or mud) when you hate to use the iron genny.

The major project was drilling and tapping the keel for the 10 bolts.  This was made easy by the screw jacks and keel cradle provided by Jess Boat Yard - the active owner just turned 80!


I took advantage of Peter Evens and Jeff Cramer's advice and used two part Boat-Life Caulk (black).  I felt like Briar Rabbit in the tar pit using it.  After a little work I found that a razor blade cut off the excess leaving a smooth seam.  For a metal primer I am sold on Petitt #6455 - a two part primer.  If you prepare the keel properly it works fine.

"ENOW" moves smartly with its new keel.  My friend with his beautiful Frances 26 has fits when I sail by him.

My Tanzer 22 is the second boat I've owned, first was a Lazer.  I have no regrets!

I don't spend as much time sailing ENOW as I used to.  I crew a lot - two weeks each summer cruising the coast of Maine on a 36' wooden schooner "Great Circle" and racing PHRF on a Tartan 38 "Bella Mare".

Anyone that knows boats knows that the Tanzer 22 is among the best!


* * * * *




As most of you have probably read by now, I came last at the CORK regatta in Kingston.  What you may not however know is that I enjoyed every minute of it.  Let me tell you how it all started.

Having heard about the excellent sailing at CORK, the family and I discussed the possibility of spending part of our summer holidays aboard "Dancer".  This is no small task since we have three kids!  Having sailed to Kingston two years ago and having enjoyed the experience (no mutiny) we all agreed to do it again.  (Who says a family can't cruise on a Tanzer 22?) We also decided that, once in Kingston, my brother Ronald would drive down so that he could crew for part of the regatta.  This would also allow my wife and kids an opportunity to drive back home after a week on the boat.  So be it!

We left Saturday August 12th with a loaded boat.  Now, those of you who know me know what I mean by a "loaded boat".  We're talking clothing and food for five, gas stove, BBQ, one propane and two gas tanks, two anchors, sails, PFD's, TV stereo, toys, books, mix and 'refreshments' for the whole navy.  If you can think of something, I probably have it aboard.


My expert crew were fantastic (Genevieve 11, Larenne 9, Marc Andre 6 and wife Diane).  We went through locks with the greatest of ease, ate great gourmet boat food, swam, talked, laughed, watched a moon eclipse at Grenadier Island, met great people, in short, had a hell of a time.  Only one problem.  Having arrived at Kingston seven days later, nobody wanted to leave (reverse mutiny).  After some coaxing and since my brother had arrived (over 200 Lb.) it became obvious some of us had to bid a sad farewell.  So off went the family back to Chateauguay.

Being the hot shot racer that I am (no spinnaker or gear), I knew I would have to keep things in perspective.  So, in order to get the boat ready for the racing, I promptly set out for the nearest supply store and filled up with food and refreshments. (My brother doesn't work for free.) As you may have guessed by now, my philosophy in racing is that "anybody can be uncomfortable racing, why should I?".

Don't get me wrong, we were hell bent on winning (in our own way) but tried to keep things in perspective. (OK, so we had the ball game on the TV during the race, So what!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the people in the Tanzer 22 Class Association are "Real People" who take their racing and their fun seriously.  I doubt I could have tagged along, learnt valuable sailing skills, participated in a world class event and been so warmly welcomed, or even tolerated, in any other fleet.  So next time you are wondering if you should participate in a Tanzer 22 event, (regardless of its magnitude) don't hesitate!


Oh yeah! I forgot.  After the races, I single handed back to Chateauguay with four other Tanzer 22s and also had a ball.  But that is another story.



by CLIFF MANN #1061

We all know the anchor locker on the Tanzer 22 is a great convenience.  We also all know what an inconvenience juggling that locker hatch around while trying to use the locker can be.  What I have done is attempt to solve the problem.  After a series of trial and error hinge arrangements, I've come up with what follows.

This arrangement has worked fine for the better part of a year.  Materials and tools needed are few.  A 1/2" block of teak

2' X 6" will leave you plenty left over.  A pa1r of stainless steel hinges, 1 3/4" X 1 1/2".  12 stainless steel bolts, lock washers and nuts.  I can't remember the exact size of bolts I used as I did this project last winter, but match the size of the hinge and handle holes to the bolts and make sure the bolts are long enough to go through the teak toe rail and the deck (probably about three inches long).  You will also need a stainless steel recessed handle or pull.  What is essential in this project is that you cut an area about 5 3/4" X 5/8" with a saber saw on the lower or aft end of the hatch cover or what will now be a door.  This notch will allow the line to stay attached to the bow cleat when the anchor is at rest in the locker.

After cutting this notch, you will need to seal the edges of the cover with Marine Tex or white silicone sealant.  You need to chisel out a piece of teak you will attach the recessed handle or pull to.  Make sure to through-bolt everything and use a marine sealant in all the holes before bolting down.  A bungee cord will finish things off by tying it to the cover handle.  Then when the door is opened, the bungee can be hooked onto the bow pulpit to keep the door held open and out of the way while working with the anchor.  This whole project shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.