No. 78 - June 1988




Now, as you know, Dear Reader, the Tanzer 22 has weather helm.  Largely removed by the new rudder, but there nonetheless.  But lee helm - impossible!


Or so I thought until last week.  We were down in Maine for a mini holiday and to launch our Tanzer 22, Red Baron VI.  Which we did and the next day went for a sail.  May 5th is still pretty cold in Maine so, not wanting to be splashed too much, decided to fly the working jib.  This was the one that came with the boat and I had not used it before.

I would guess the winds to be in the five to eight knot range.  I tell you, I could hardly make the boat go to windward so bad was the lee helm.  I was so frustrated it almost spoiled the first sail of the season.

The next step was to try to analyze just what was causing the lee helm.  Mast rake too far forward?  No.  The back turnbuckle was cranked all the way down and the mast seemed to be raked aft.  Mainsail too flat?  I eased the outhaul and halyard but didn't notice any improvement.


Finally, the jib.  Which was an old Rockall that came with the boat and was therefore 13 years old.  And looked it!  My final conclusion was that the sail was so blown out, the draft so far aft, that there was virtually no forward lift.  If anything, the lift was all sideways.  If that can be called lift.

And to more or less prove the point, I could go to windward better with just the main than with main and jib.

I am ordering a new Neil Pryde jib! I'll let you know if I was right.


* * * * *



My first requirement was for self steering, so a length of shock cord stretched between the aft mooring cleats with a half turn around the tiller has proved most satisfactory in all but very poor conditions.

The cleating of the Genoa sheet is unsatisfactory for single handing so I had a metal bracket made to fit around the "boss" on the mainsheet traveler housing, on which I mounted a cleat that has enabled me to have all the sheets to hand from the helm.

My method of sheeting in the Genoa in windy conditions is somewhat unorthodox but works and this is to luff up, sheet in, then payoff.  One doesn't get ideal trim but in those conditions it saves trying to winch in with the handle -steer and watch out for the next gust, all while standing on one's beam end!

I also found the "boss" made a good housing for my knot meter. Easy to read from the steering position.


* * * * *



Philip has ground down his keel to bare metal.  Then, with­out using any primer or rust proofing as he felt that it might affect the bonding, he then applied a double layer of mat cloth, then a finishing coat of resin to the bare keel.  Sanded and painted with anti-fouling.  To date it has resisted rusting.

He has also installed Harken roller furling gear.  Instructions were easy to follow and straight forward.  He had a luff tape installed on his present Genoa as well as sacrificial UV cloth.  Cost about $140.00.  He reports that when reefed down the sheeting angle is poor unless he moves the sheets to the inboard jib blocks.  Then the performance is about the same as with the working jib.  Alterations to the forestay added another $40.00 to the cost.  All in Canadian dollars.

* * * * *



Ease the jib (or Genoa) halyard.  This will move the draft aft and allow a flatter entry.  Better to have slight wrinkles or scallops in the luff than too tight.


* * * * *



Down wind in heavy weather, over trim the spinnaker sheet and guy to prevent excess rolling.