No. 34 - December 1978



John Charters


Put a ring on the forestay, which will ride above the head of the jib. Run a line from it, through a shackle in the stem fitting and aft to the cockpit. (All John's control lines lead aft to the cockpit.) Pull, and down comes the jib.



Ira Abramson


If you have trouble with small leaks where your chain plates enter the boat, try sealing them with 3M clear auto glass sealer. It flows into the crevices. 3M weather-strip adhesive is an excellent adhesive for Velcro and other things. Paint thinner will dissolve it if you're sloppy. I used it to glue Velcro to the cabin carpet and sole, after removing the existing tape. I put 2 pieces at each end, and can now lift it at will.



The Tanzer 22 has just been accepted by CORK (Canadian Olympic Regatta, Kingston) officials to be one of the classes raced in CORK '79. The T22 will be the first cruising class boat ever raced in CORK.


If you thought you had a flexible boat that could be either cruised or raced, next year will bring the best possible of both worlds with cruising in the famous 1000 Islands and international racing competition at Kingston.


CORK is an Olympic training regatta in which 5 Olympic and 4 non­Olympic classes compete in a race week, usually the last week of August. There are 9 races over 6 days and the Olympic Yachting facilities are used.



Rudi Harbauer  


A large fleet of well over 100 boats gathered on July 28th at 1700 off Sheepshead Bay (South Shore, L.I.). There was no wind and the outgoing tide drifted the fleet south of the Committee boat. The start was postponed for awhile. When the race finally began, many boats drifted and hit the Committee Boat. Too early for the start, we had to round again, using up 40 minutes. About 30 minutes later, light wind from the NW let us carry the spinnaker for 1 1/2 hours until the wind shifted to the NE. Jones Beach tower was in sight until 0300 - with our speed of 1 1/2 knots, progress was slow. Finally, we got the morning breeze and Fire Island appeared, then Moriches Inlet and Shinnecock In1et. The next doldrums arrived at noon. The wind shifted favoraB1y to SW and we carried the spinnaker successfully around Montauk Point at 1800.


On the other side of the point, there was a critical decision to be made: Should we go through the Race - which meant sailing an extra distance of 5 - 6 miles - or should we take a chance and try to get through Plum Gut before 2030 when the tide changed? The distance between Montauk Point and Plum Gut was 15 nautical miles, which we had 2 hours to cover. The question was, would we have enough wind to carry us through if we got there later. The winds were now blowing 20 - 25 knots out of the NW, and if they kept up, we would have no trouble sailing against the tide, which would become 4 1/2 knots against us. At this time we reefed the main and carried the no. 2 Genoa. We arrived at the Gut at 2130 and managed to get through. It was a gamble, but we won.


In the sound we had light winds, shifting from all directions. After midnight it started to get really choppy, with NW winds - a straight beat to the finish line at Glen Cove, N.Y. At noon on Sunday, the wind shifted to North, about 10 - 12 knots, and with spinnaker flying, we finished the race at 1530 after 45 hours sailing time.


I feel it was the decision made at Montauk that got us a 3rd Place Trophy. It was a tough and long race, but it showed that the Tanzer 22 can compete in long distance racing such as this one - over 180 nautical miles. My crew consisted of 3 guys, including my 15 year old son. There was only one other 22' boat in the race and none were smaller.