No. 33 - September 1978


Flags add to the colour and image we present in the sailing fraternity. Over the transom, or 2/3rds up the back stay is the place for our national flag. The port spreader is where we say who we are. This is the place for house flags or personal signals. The star­board spreader, being the superior side of the boat, is where we fly a flag for those whom we honour. It would please me if owners who have won T22 prize flags in Regional or Class Championships were to fly their latest from the port spreader. In this way we can show our pride in our boat and our class. Surely, this is more colourful and appropriate than leaving them in the basement at home!




John Himingway, no. 405 "Magic Flute"


Ask any Torontonian what happened on January 26th, 1978 and he will probably answer: "The Big Storm". Winds rarely dropped below 50 MPH, with gusts to 70 MPH. Walking downtown between tall buildings was all but impossible as drifting snow and ice made struggling against the wind treacherous even in the lulls. A window blew out of the 36th floor of Commerce Court, crossed the road and smashed an 18' x 5' plate glass window. The pieces sliced a desk in half.


Wind blown ice 6' to 10' thick crept up on shore, destroyed park fences and guard rails thirty feet from the sea walls. Destroyed the Boulevard Club's pool, with ice moving into the lounges, taking out windows, tearing up stairs and completely destroying all lockers in the locker rooms. Wind blown spray coated trees with ice in the waterfront parks, toppling them. One brave soul left his car to see the fury and when he returned found the car covered with several inches of ice, which kept him effectively locked out of the car.


While huddled in a bus shelter being torn apart by the wind and wondering how the heck I was going to cross the road, the door blew open on a passing van. It came to rest 1800 out of position against the hood! The driver got out, was blown away from his vehicle, and couldn't walk back to it against the wind.


Next day, downtown was eerie, quiet, the lull after the storm. The lowest barometric pressure ever recorded in Toronto had moved on. After I reached the office, the dreaded phone call came in from Toronto Island Marina. We had a few boats over last night and yours is one of them. The report is no visible damage. Hasty telephone calls were made to the insurance company: $100 deductable, the verdict. Strangely, the damage escalated to keel damage, hull damage and spreader damage. Even more strangely, the boat rolled over from the port side to the starboard side! Eventually, sanity returned when an evaluator slithered his way over to the boat in icy conditions and -200 temperatures.


After showing more concern over his freezing condition than the state of my boat, he made his report: "No visible damage!"


Several weeks later I crashed over the ice floes in Toronto Harbor in the winter mini-ferry. It was a beautiful, sunny, winter's day. I found my boat sitting serenely upright, surrounded by snow and ice.


The only damage was a 2" gouge in the hull, just below the water line and just through the gel-coat. Oh yes, a running light was smashed and there was a 3' tear in the cover. I started to breathe more easily. Behind the boat was a picnic table set up to allow clambering aboard during lay-up. The boat had smashed through the 1" thick timber of one corner without even a mark on the fibreglass or rubbing strip!


Three boats went over. The next boat but one was a brand new Tanzer 22. Again, minor damage, a broken toe rail and a jib sheet winch torn from its socket. Unfortunately, the owner had left his spreaders on the mast (luckily I'd taken mine out) and the mast had been damaged. The boat between us had two 12" long splits right through the fibreglass, one below and one above the waterline. No, it wasn't a Tanzer!


Lessons learned - three, I think!

1) Convince those marinas with "do-it-themselves" blocking systems to use the regular Tanzer cradle! The marina had refused to use mine, which sat out the winter in a friend's double garage. However, according to some reports, some-boats on cradles were lifting up and down, so get something soft in there to absorb the shock!


2) Take the spreaders off the mast and support it well. A friend of mine with a Sandpiper had his boat shift on its chocks, no damage, but somehow the unsupported mast got a gouge worn in it. I supported my mast on the bow pulpit, on foam at the cabin cover, and on a crutch mounted on the rudder gudgeons. The crutch was cut to allow the foam to support the mast and keep it straight.

3) The Tanzer is a damn well made boat. I know anyone reading this is well aware of that already!




Mike Nicoll-Griffith


I always feel a little awkward when I arrive at U.S. Customs with Mindemoya behind the car, loaded for a week. Especially when the Immigration Officer asks if I am taking anything into the States, and I have to answer, "No".


Down the hills to Bob Brodie's Yankee Yacht Sales, I wondered whether the boat was going to land on top of the car, but the load was secure. (Nylon rope is wonderful stuff.) Help from Ken Marsh and other Lake George stalwarts got the boat in the water within half an hour. Then we moved over to Laurie Ludwig's bay for overnight anchorage.


The welcoming party at Dickinson's was delightful. This was followed by a fast night ride across the lake to sleep for the night. Lake George is lovely! It has wooded shores - not much developed - and with no roads along much of the shore line. In The Narrows, there are islands somewhat similar to the 1000 Islands in the St. Lawrence River, but all State owned and excellently kept.


Nate Dickinson turned up the biggest and juiciest steaks I've ever seen at the BBQ. They caused the Gloutneys to sing exuberantly into the small hours in best Canadian style! Hans and Gaby Tanzer kept us laughing, too.


Sunday gave us a fresh Northeaster of up to 25 knots, and reefing helped. Later on, the wind eased a little, and the bright parade of spinnakers finished two, days of good racing.


Adrian Scheidegger won the NERC trophy with 2-1-1; we were 2nd with 1-3-4, while host Nate Dickinson brought the cows home with 3-2-5. Don Anderson was 4th and John Charters was fifth. And where were YOU, Lake Champlain???


The Tanzer Festival Cruise started in Paradise Bay with its heavy rock ledges, intimate entrance and clear green water. We retrieved Dale Baker's anchor from 21' of water just by seeing the rode on the bottom and picking it up! The second day of the cruise we formed the Tanzer 22 Mountain Climbing Association as a party of 12 climbed 2300 feet to the top of Black Mountain. The mountain is wild, heavily wooded, and full of rare birds. Then, with aching limbs, we went on to Gull Bay.


Next morning at 10, the Cruise ended when Dale Baker sounded his hooter for the start of the 6 hour beat back to Diamond Point. The Tanzer 22 Festival Cup was at stake. Don Anderson was 1st, Pat Farmer came 2nd and Dave Dougall placed 3rd. The story has it that Don went through the Narrows like an old pro and was even on the east side of the lake when the wind backed 600 at 3:30 PM. We stayed overnight at Laurie Ludwig's boathouse, and on Thursday went our separate ways.




Brian Rees, 1089 Yorktown Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94087


Objectives: For use ashore, afloat and alone. To be small, light, stowable. Not to use standing rigging, to avoid bent cables and turnbuckles.


GENERAL DESCRIPTION: 1) The boom is removed and replaced facing for­ward. The gooseneck is fitted to a short length of Genoa track, attached to the mast. 2) A double yoke is fitted to the boom with a pin or bolt. The mainsheet is attached to the lower yoke and to the aft hole in the stemhead fitting, using 900-twist shackles. 3) The upper yoke has a 3-4' long cable or line attached to it, and this in turn attaches to the jib halyard. 4) Two fittings are attached, port and starboard, to a couple of angles which are permanently fitted to the cabin top close to the grab-rails. These fittings provide a pivot point on the same axis as the mast bolt. 5) A harness of 1/4" nylon rope triangulates from these pivot points to a couple of plates, one attached to the boom, and one to the mast. The boom plate attaches to the boom vang fitting by means of a coach bolt and wing nut. The mast plate attaches to the mast by two or three sail stops sliding in the sail slot. Push the mast plate as far up the mast as you can. This will tension the harness in all directions. Next, raise the tiller, fit the mast crutch over the end and tighten the hose clamp. 6) The two lines leading from the crutch go to the port and star­board mooring cleats, the tiller tilting back at about 15 to 30 degrees. 7) Attach the topping lift to the O/B motor bracket, and you are now free to remove the standing rigging.


I just remove the turnbuckle bodies and tie the loose rigging to the mast. If you want to 'mark' the turnbuckles to get the same tension upon re-assembly, use two nuts on the thread and lock them together. You won't have to hassle with retuning.


The sketches show the fittings I made, but try to use material you already have, or can get locally. My pivots are unnecessarily com­plex, but I had the parts available. I would suggest making this device on a custom basis for YOUR boat.


The hardest parts are the pivot points. To find the center, run a 3/8 dia. x 3' long rod through the mast bolt hole. You can adjust the rigging to hold the mast up with the bolt removed. Measure BOTH sides. I didn't. One side was 3/4" higher than the other, or the bolt axis wasn't horizontal: Anyway, I found out too late, as I'd made both brackets already.) The bolts that attach the angles to the deck should not be forward of the pivot, or you won't have access to the nuts inside the cabin. I found that out the hard way, too!)


The lower yoke on the boom will rotate aft about 450 when you lower the mast, so allow for it.


My piece of Genoa track cost $1 and I drilled and tapped the mast for attachments.


All my lines are 1/4" nylon, spliced over thimbles, attached to the plates with shackles.



CLOSE THE HATCH when using this device. I have used this system in high winds and when rolling violently due to a passing freighter. No troubles so far.


Now, once your mast is down, here is a way to silence the internal wires. Buy a couple of lengths of ½” PVC water pipe (cost me less than $2.50 for 40'). Make up a single length of about 24', and at an inch or so from one end, wrap some tape around to form a bump of larger diameter. Attach your VHF coax and/or your masthead wiring to a piece of aluminum wire, and thread this wire all the way through the plastic pipe. Cut some blocks of foam sponge, about 3" x 3". I used 2" foam, but anything over 1" is OK. Make a hole in the middle of each foam piece - I bashed an old valve guide through, against a block of wood and it worked fine, leaving about a 3/8" hole. Thread all these blocks (I made 12) over the wire. Then, tie the wire to someone's boat, or have a friend hold the end for you. Now push one block over the tube, all the way to the other end and over the bump. Then, like a mad picador, shove the tube up the mast until the block is where you want it to be. A sharp pull on the tube and the block stays behind with the wires in the middle of it. Repeat, setting blocks at about 2' intervals. That's all there is to it! Peace and quiet!