No. 14 - January, 1975


Tie or splice a small fender or float on the bitter end of your anchor rode. Then when you lose the whole lot overboad, you'll be able to retrieve some. (John Charters)



AROUND THE HORN, continued from last Newsletter

Lori & Bob Baird

 (we left the Bairds at the entrance to the Rideau Waterway.)


After stepping the mast, we lashed it to the pulpit, and laid it next to the starboard snubbing winch. We removed the topping lift jam cleat and lashed the mast to the winch and the lifeline stanchion. This way, the companionway was not obstructed and we were able to partially open the foreward hatch. The spreaders were left on the mast, but we had to watch them carefully in the locks. The genoa sheet blocks should be moved as far aft as possible along the track to avoid jamming against lock walls.


The water stairway, with a total lift of 80', operates up only three times a day: 8:45AM, 12:30PM, and 4:15 PM. We caught the 12:30 lift and arrived at the top about 2:00 PM. Hundreds of lunchtime spectators monitored our every move up the flight. At the top, we passed under the Plaza Bridge (clearance 26.5') and tied up just west of the tour boat dock and opposite Ottawa's new Performing Arts Center, in the center of Ottawa.


We walked back to visit an old building located half way up the flight locks. This is the old workshop of the Royal Engineers, directed by Colonel By, and is maintained in many respects in its original condition. The By town Museum, as it is called, contains many interesting exibits concerning the building of the canal and the early history of Ottawa. We spent a very enjoyable hour wandering through - it is well worth seeing.


In Downtown Ottawa you are within walking distance of numerous points of interest. The run through Ottawa, along the Rideau Canal, takes you­past some of the finest homes and gardens in the city. Keep towards the center of the canal as it tends to be shallow on the edges. There are a number of bridges crossing the canal in and around Ottawa. We had no trouble clearing any of them (with the mast down, of course.)


There are marines in both Dows Lake and Hogs Back with all facilites including pump out.


We stayed that night just above the Black Rapids Locks. The manicured lawns and flower beds made this lock a very tranquil and pleasant place to have a picnic supper, with fishing off the dam to wind up the day.


The run from Black Rapids to Merrickville is about 26 miles. Merrick­ville is a depressing, dreary village with a population of 900. How­ever there are many good examples of early Canadian architecture scattered throughout the village, and a visit to the old Blockhouse is a must, we are told. Unfortunately, it was closed when we arrived that night, and we left early the next morning.


As you approach Smith Falls' Locks, the channel markers are somewhat confusing. Proceed to the right to enter the new lock that replaces locks 28, 29, & 30. Beyond the locks there is space to tie up by a City park. Gas is available and on the other side of the river there is a good beach. Ice is available at gas stations nearby.


About a $1 taxi ride out of Smith Falls is the Hershey's chocolate factory which has a free tour and yummy free samples. Everyone in the family enjoyed seeing the automated methods of chocolate bar making.


Just above Smith Falls is Poonamalie Lock. Although we only stopped there for a swim it is particularly pretty, the canal bank on both sides being lined with solid screen of cedars down to the water's edge. We proceeded on to Rideau Ferry and tied up just before the bridge at the Rideau Ferry Inn; and for a change of pace, we had a good dinner at the inn, and used the swimming pool.


Big Rideau Lake, the summit level of the waterway, is 20 miles long and filled with over 300 islands of every size and shape imaginable. Several days could be pleasantly spent cruising around this exquisite lake. The fishing, swimming and scenery are all excellent. The Water is clean and deep.


A sudden summer thunder squall caught us while swimming with the boat anchored too close to a rocky shore; and we were forced to weigh anchor and flee in a hurry to avoid being driven onto the rocks.


We passed through the Narrows and Newboro locks and ended the daY's run at Chaffeys Locks, near the old and stately Hotel Opinicon. Although we tied up at the basin above the locks, you can go through the locks and tie up at the hotel marina. We went over and used all the facili­ties, including hot showers. There is a small grocery store near the hotel for supplies, and a laundromat near the locks. We wandered around the hotel grounds admiring the magnificent trees, and went into the dining room to look at the superb collection of fishing trophies mounted on the walls.


We continued on our way up through Jones Falls, and there had our first encounter of the trip with the “Bronx Navy”, or, as Sally Ranti calls them: “Wolf Pack” - hordes of gigantic wash-leaving gas guzzlers!


That night we stopped at Brewers Mills. Though it has no commercial facilities, it is a very quiet, pleasant spot to tie up for the night. After barbequed steaks, we spent the evening chasing fire flies. (It's amazing what one week with your family does to you!)


The run from Brewers Mills down the Cataraqui River and through the three locks at Kingston Mills, on Tuesday afternoon, reminded us of St. Anne's lock on Labour Day Weekend - wall to wall boats, mostly stink pots. The Kingston Yacht Club could not accommodate us due to a short­age of docking space, so we tied up at the City of Kingston Municipal Yacht Basin, immediately next to the Martello Tower and directly in front of the Kingston City Hall. This is very convenient to the center of Kingston, and the washroom facilities in the public Park by the basin are restricted to use by yachtmen only. How about that!


Since the winds were gusting to 30 MPH, we decided to postpone raising the mast and instead we visited Fort Henry. We were all intrigued with the changing of the guard, firing of the canons and the military band. A tour of the barracks, the dungeons and the military museum were interesting for all the family. After a taxi tour of Kingston, and particularly Mother's childhood stomping grounds, we wound up the day having dinner by candle light on the top floor of the Holiday inn overlooking the harbour.


The mast was raised in the morning, and we tuned it while being serenaded by the carillon playing from the tower of the Kingston city Hall. We replenished our traveling needs and headed down the St. Lawrence about noon.




This portion of the trip is familiar to many and has been described in detail in previous T22 newsletters . . . just a few general observations:


We found our visit to Clayton worthwhile, particularly the museum near the Government Wharf . . . Boldt Castle is a "rip-off", unless you visit it after the ticket seller has gone home, as did the Rantis. The Ontario Government Parks in the 1,000 islands were very crowded with houseboats and large cruisers. The American parks seemed to be less so. They charge a $3.00 docking fee, maybe this is the reason . . . Chrysler Park Marina was jammed with boats, and docking charges are high. However, the propretors provide taxi service to Upper Canada Village which is a must if your family has not seen it . . . We thought we would go into Cornwall via Polly's Gut after leaving Snell lock. The chart shows a current of 2 to 3 knots. It was more like 7 knots, and we were actually moving backwards in places before we gave up. . . Stovin island, near Brockville is a good stopping spot. St.Regis River, just east and opposite Cornwall is good overnight anchoring. . . The $2.00 charge for the Iroquois Lock is something else! I don't think we were lowered more than a few inches.


And finally . . . one highlight of our trip was during a reach with spinnaker flying and well heeled to port, when a blood curdling scream came from the cabin. Andrew, 7, had opened the icebox door and a ten pound block of ice, milk, eggs, etc., etc., . . . all over the new carpet! We called it a Tanzer omelette.


The Canadian Hydrographic charts nos. 1540 and 1511 for the Ottawa River and 1575 & 1576 for the Rideau Waterway are a must. The Rideau Charts came in a picturesque folder which has lists on the inside cover of all marinas along the way, with the services available at each, so it is unnecessary to repeat this information here. Charts 1410 to 1421 cover the St.Lawrence River portion of the trip. Total cost of all these charts is about $25.


A book, "The Rideau Waterway", by Robert Leggett, University of Toronto Press, 1955, was an interesting companion on the trip. I am told that this book is available at the Beaconsfield (Que.) public library.



CRUISING INFORMATION: west Coast, B.C.: Roy Behm suggests "Northwest Passages” by Bruce Calhoun, VOL I & II, Miller Freeman Publications,

500 Howard St. San Francisco, Cal. From the same publisher - "Cruising the Pacific Coast, Mexico to Alaska" by Jack and Caroline West. A must: “Marine Atlas, Vol I (Olympia, Washington to North End of Vancouver Island)” by Frank Morris & W.H. Heath, PBl co., 1520 Wesland N., Seattle, WA.


Narragansett Bay - complete marina listings, details of facilities, radio stations which broadcast weather reports, launching ramps, boat yards, YC's with guest moorings, etc., all in "Boating in Rhode. Island" ­free from: Rhode Island Development Council, Roger Willams Building, Hayes St., Providence, R.I. 02908.


Bras O'er Lakes: Everything form drawings to photos to chartlets in "Cruise Cape Breton" free from: Cape Breton Development Corp., Dept. of Tourism, Box 1330, Sydney, Nova Scotia. A great little book.





Jeff sent photos of his boat, "Sailbad. . . ", which is a unique T22. For one thing, it is all red. ALL red, except for the non-skid areas. For another, Jeff obviously had done 10,000 interesting things with his boat. In this, and subsequent Newsletters, he shares with us some of his many interesting ideas.


We asked him what he does to his teak, which in the photos looks great: The teak is varnished! Prior to the first coat of varnish, the teak was cleaned using Comet cleanser and a sponge. If a songe is used in lieu of a scrub brush you won't remove the heart wood. All the teak was then removed from the boat (very easy - 2 hours does it all) and taken home. You have all winter to work on it. Initially 6 coats of Wolsey Sea Mate no. 402 Idear spar varnish was applied. The final 4 coats were wet sanded using no.400 wet/dry paper. Naturally, the final coat is not sanded. Read the instructions on the can, flow it on, and spend for a good brush. At the end of the season the teak is again re­moved and 2 coats of varnish applied, again sanding between each. Between April and December nothing is done to the teak. I believe the results justify the effort required.


Mounted over the compass on the bulkhead is a Signet MK XII Knotmeter. The face is covered with a white PVC cover supplied by Signet to protect it from ultra-violet deterioration. The transducer is located forward off the keel just to port of the hull centerline, with access provided by two 4 1/2” inspection ports installed in the floor pan just aft of the head. There is no significant compass deviation as a result of the knot­meter installation.


Teak trim bezels on the cockpit coaming winch handle compartments are made by H&L Marine Woodwork,2965 East Harcourt St. Compton, Cal, 90221. They come in 2 sizes - you'll need the larger size (H & L Cat.-no. 872T, $8.98 ea.) This catalogue has a wealth of top quality teak items, which can be ordered direct from H & L.


LOTS & LOTS more from Jeff next issue.



THE VOYAGE of "WAVE TRAIN", T22 no. 106


Joe Moore is taking a sabbatical year cruise, starting from his home port of Lewes, Delaware, sailing down the coast, cruising the Florida Keys and the upper Carribean. The night before his departure he sent off a cassette tape telling us about his preparations, and he is send­ing us periodic log extracts, which will be carried in the Newsletter.


Joe has been a Social Studies teacher for 23 years, and as a sideline, for 8 years, has also been a boat dealer. He's conviced that the T22 is "the greatest little boat on the market". Joe's 16 year old son has taken a year off from school to make this cruise with his father.


Joe’s boat is fully equipped for ocean cruising - the stern and bow pulpit and life lines, also the dodger, are of his own design. The sail wardrobe: main, working and storm jibs, no.1 genoa and a storm trysail. He also made out of 2 Aqua Cat sails a running headsail/spinnaker, which works very well. He has aboard AM ship to shore radio and a CB handset. He uses the HO 249 Sight Reduction Tables.


Of interest to all those planning a long cruise: Joe wrote to his Congressman, and ordered through him the $152 worth of charts required for the trip - and received them within 10 days. This is a service provided by the U.S. Representatives of which many people are unaware.


LOG: Departed Delaware Capes 8:30 AM Oct. 12, 1974. The brand new Evinrude failed with 25 hours running time on it in Metomkin Inlet, VA. This is a wild and uninhabited coast - not the prescribed route south, but an area I am familiar with. Came within a hair of not saving the boat. Sails were bent on, and a 25 knot NE wind was the only saving grace. I made the 15 miles to Wachapreaque, VA after dark, where I attempted to fix the motor.


After losing a day with the motor, I was off Sand Shoal Inlet, VA when the fly wheel backed off. There was no wind, and 3 kt ebb put us aground. I was pulled off by an oyster boat and towed to Oyster, VA. Five sail­boats were lost in the first 2 weeks of Oct. on this 120 mile coast and 18 were lost in 1973!


4 days spent in Oyster. I sent the Evinrude back and got a new Mercury 9.8 HP. It is a better motor - fuel consumption is 8 MPG vs5 MPG on the Evinrude at 2/3 open – 6 1/2 kts.


I crossed the VA Capes with a front - 30 kt winds and 8 - 10' seas. I was reefed to the bottom of the numbers, using the working jib. I should have had on the storm jib, but could not get forward to change sails. The wind was on the starboard quarter, and we ran at 6 1/2 - 6 3/4 kts, surfing at almost 7 knots, falling off crests into troughs. I saw two 50’ plus vessels running under reduced roller genoas at the same time - ­beat one to Norfolk. He was an old hand and not pushing it. "Wave Train" was doing so well that I let her go.    The truth is, I did not want to go forward to get cloth off.


I only burned 9 gallons of gas from Norfolk to Morehead City, N.C. . . It was all sail at speed. This portion of the trip was very cold: 28- 30 degrees outside, but 74 degrees in the cabin with "flower pot" heater.


It took 4 days - 65 to 75 statute miles per day - to reach Charlestown, S.C. The weather was beautiful – 85 degrees.


With 17 days aboard, the boat and crew are in good condition, and we're very, very comfortable. We can carry 2 weeks supply of food, using the port side locker, seat and hanging locker. This is driest and easiest to work from. 25 lb. blocks of ice last 4 days, once the box is cooled. I am gettinq 120 miles on 17 gallons of gas at 6 1/2 kts. I carry about 100 miles worth of gas. Two batteries last 8 days at full charge.


We are the smallest boat to transit we have seen so far. The T22 is easily driven. A number of bigger boats have commented on the fact that we make the same distance in a day that they do. This is a wonderful experience in an exceptionally well constructed and comfortable boat. The learning "'experience for my son is beyond description.


LOG 11: Departed Charlestown, S.C. on November 1. for Fernandiva, Fla. The distance from Fernandiva to Miami is 320 miles. Departed Fernandiva on the 6th with a Northern at 18 to 25 kts, which we carried for 6 days. We were able to sail at no less than 5.5 kts for 4 1/2 days - a distance of 290 miles (inside). This is a long state and the inland waters are such that with the wind from the northern quadrant you can really make time, with little chop to hinder you.


We arrived at Dinner Key Marina at 5:30 PM on Nov.ll - 30 days from the Delaware Capes. I planned one month, so we are on schedule. The boat and motor have been pushed hard. So has the crew. All in great shape - having fun - but tired.


We are still the smallest boat we've met up with in the 1300 miles covered so far.


I've met up with a lot of Canadian boats with the biggest flags you ever have seen. One Canadian skipper said the reason for the size has to do with the fact that the Maple Leaf is the international hitch-hiking flag. We even passed one Canadian die-hard with the old ensign. He may have been a member of a Royal Club.


I plan to leave the Keys for St.Petersburg on Dec. 9 and arrive on the 14’th.



WHEEL STEERING is now available for small (under 25’ boats with out­board rudders from Yacht Specialties Co., Inc., 1555 East St.Gertrude Place, Santa Ana, Cal. 92705.



Stuart Zahniser


Our Harcar single axle trailer, with bow stop roller and no winch was

a nightmare all of last year. Problems of launch and more particularly retrieval kept us in our local lake and upset plans for trailering. Here's what we did to solve, most of our problems:


We installed a winching eye in the bow - from Tanzer Industries. This involves drilling through the bow. Carefully make a wooden template to fit the outside contour of the bow before drilling. When the fit

is good, drill parallel and perfectly centered pilot holes to guide the drill later. Tape this jig securely to the bow in the right place, and drill all the way through fibreglass into position on the inside.


Install a winch on a stand high enough that the winch line will still be doing a moderate amount of lifting with the boat in its final position. I limited myself to 1500 lbs capacity as I did not want to put more strain than that on the boat. If it needs more pull, put the trailer deeper in the water.


Instead of the line of 3 or 4 lifting rollers shown in the Newsletter, I settled for one 5” wide centering roller,located 1/2 way between the waterline at the bow and the front of the keel.


Before retrieval, retract the bow stop, as the boat must come a little further forward in the water than the bow will be in relation to the trailer after it has settled down with the keel parallel to the keel support. (As the boat initially contacts the trailer the boat is horizontal to the water, and the trailer is at an angle roughly parallel to the bottom.)


Install a keel stop on the keel support so that the boat is winched forward until the keel strikes this stip. I used a piece of 4 x 4 cut with an angle to match the front of the keel.


Before launching, lower the trailer bunks so that they are just below (about ¼” clearance) the hull. This makes retrieval easier - also launching.


Install an 8 or 9 foot tongue extension. Harcar suggested using square sections of steel fittings inside each other. These not being available I used 2 ½” pipe sliding through 3H pipe as a sleeve. This iron pipe is not strong enough. It bends and must be reinforced internally some­how - perhaps by pouring in a few linear feet of concrete, or driving in an angle iron to fit.


With the boat at the water's edge and properly on the trailer, extend the bow stop to contact the hull and raise the bunks to a secure contact. With my trailer, the use of a sledge hammer (hitting the bunks, not the hull) is the way to do it.


Although my trailer has a poor design for retrieval and launching, it is a joy to pull on the road. It has surge brakes, which work very well, ­and there is no problem with bouncing or weaving.


We have to take off the wheels and repack bearings after a launch if

we are to trail a great distance. I would repack for anything over 30 to 40 miles. The bearings should be cleaned and repacked before winter storage.




Stuart Zahniser


I made screens with one of the Velcro kits sold in marine stores - $lO. It makes a neat usable opening, especially if one does NOT follow the instructions and trim the excess screening. Leaving the extra material permits effective closure by draping over the aft part of the companion­way without having to press the Velcro into position each time one enters or leaves. The Velcro does show some signs of stretching - so that the screening pieces are longer than the pieces cemented to the boat.



WARNINGS: Those pull tabs on drink cans. Do you drop them into the can, rather than overboard? PUT THEN IN THE GARBAGE. Some people have swallowed them, along with a gulp of beer.


Anti-fouling paint dust (as from when you're sanding) and fibreglass dust (as from sanding, sawing, drilling, scratching up gel coat before painting) are about the most dangerous things you can find to breathe. Books suggest - URGE - wearing a respirator when working with fibreglass, and a surgical mask when sanding anti-fouling paint.


When mast lowering with a spinnaker pole, tape the ends so that the pole won't unhook accidentally and drop the whole shebang on you, or your wife. Or you deck. I hear by the grapevine that this has happened.